I woke up this morning thinking it may be an emotional day. Travis was leaving this morning to go back to Gillette. We had discussed and discussed what we wanted to do. I knew we needed to have income, I knew they needed him at work, but in the back of my mind I wanted him to stay. It had to be his choice. We had to look at our budget and see if we could afford to go this long without pay. In the end we decided he would go back and work Thursday and Friday. He would be off for the weekend and would spend it getting the house cleaned and ready for Aedan to come home. I know it will be hard for both of us but it is the decision we made together. My mom will stay here with me. They boys will be down on Saturday when Kevin and Lori bring them. The plan is for the boys to stay next week with us. They need to be here and start adjusting to not having all of my attention. It would have been an adjustment but we have to start the adjusting soon!! At 7:45am, Travis and I left RMH and headed to the hospital. He dropped me off at the main entrance and headed home to Gillette. I raced (cares and feeding at 8am) up the elevator and into the room. Renee (our nurse from yesterday) had just started cares (she did not think I would make it). As she was changing his diaper and I was checking temp he decided to pee. Yes she had not covered him so we both got a shower as did the bed! Good thing we both were wearing yellow gowns. (Usually the gowns are not required but two of the room kids were moved to graduate NICU and they were bringing in a fresh transfer, so they asked I gown for this one visit.) Since she had to change bedding, I got the wonderful opportunity to hold him while she changed his bedding. It was great to cuddle him, just hold him and feel him sleep. An hour of holding him made me realize that breast feeding or at least pumping and feeding may come easier than expected...LOL.
Since my mom was at RMH still and Travis was on the road home, our kind nurse Renee took this picture of me holding Aedan. After holding him for an hour, I went to the pump room, then to the cafeteria (where the best internet and cell service is for me) to call mom and Travis and finish updating the blog. I must say that this is therapeutic! I sit and write my thoughts, what we have done, and journal the day's event for Aedan to read later (it is really for him even though you all are enjoying the updates first). I came back up at 10:30am and pumped again (wow, i am really doing good at this). I then went in for cares. As I arrived (mom had arrived and was there singing made-up songs to him), Renee told me she would try to nipple feed him this time and I can do it the next time. He did SO SO well. She did have to prompt him a bit but she expected that as he has not learned that muscle control completely yet.




No comments:
Post a Comment