Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Hospital experience 2

What an adventure we have had since Thursday!  On Tuesday, Aedan started having a runny nose.  I would try and clean it out every time I would feed him.  I was not getting anything but I was trying.  On Wednesday the Public Health nurse came and weighed him.  I had asked her what she thought of his nose and the cough that had produced.  She said she agreed with me to give it a day and see what happens.  That night he would not sleep unless held and even then it was stunted sleep.  I decided we needed to get him checked and made an appt the next morning.  Dr Fall (another Doctor in the office with Soler) felt it was just a little cold but on the cautious side started him on Erithromycin.  On Saturday we had a few errands to run, we wanted to check out the Trade show at Cam-plex, and a birthday party to attend.  I fed Aedan before we left for the day (9:30am) then we headed out.  We had a great day...but I was being very cautious of every noise Aedan made.   When we got to the birthday party I was helping the host and a friend Jenny was holding Aedan.  I asked her what she thought of his cough and she and I decided Aedan needed to be checked again.   I called the ped's office and it said to call the ER....I decided to go to the Walk in Clinic (hospital run) instead of ER.   The doctor at the Walk in ran a test for RSV and Flu and was surprised when the RSV came back positive.  With Aedan's health history at only 29 days old.....we were sent straight to ER.  When I walked in to ER I was surprised that they took us straight back (without filling out any paperwork).  They then brought the paperwork to me to fill out.  They had to start an IV (another head IV) to get fluids going as he was dehydrated (just a little since he was not eating like he should with so much mucus).  They also did the first breathing treatment and chest x-rays while we were down stairs.  By 7:30pm we were in ICU (they have a room for pediatrics in ICU).   The rules of this hospital is that until the child is 5 a parent or guardian must be with them at all times.....so Travis went home and I stayed.  Aedan slept better this night than he had Friday night.  They started him on 3 different nose drops (two of which are steroids to help reduce the swelling in the nose), Zithromax, Prednisone, and Albuterol.  He was on Oxygen most of the night just to keep his saturations up where they belong.   The next morning at 10, Dr Soler came to check on us and decided that we could go home...but we had to keep up with all the meds (minus the oxygen), and be prepared for an extended stay at home.  RSV is contagious for 7-21 days and the prednisone reduces the bodies ability to fight off infections and illness.  I DON'T WANT ANOTHER HOSPITAL TRIP THIS SOON!!  I will keep Aedan at home till March 1.  After March 1, he will not be going out if we can avoid it till after April 1 (end of RSV and Flu season).   I have wonderful friends who are helping how ever they can.  One friend is taking KaCe to and from school (she lives close by and her son is in KaCe's class), another friend took Ethan to an activity Monday and will come take my mail to the PO tomorrow, and yet another friend ran many errands yesterday for me and even got quarters for me to do laundry here at the apartment.  I still have meals coming from my wonderful MOPS group (yesterday's meal included a Chai for me!!).  My Gillette Moms Meetup group will be bringing meals next week every night till March 1.  I am slowly getting the house organized again  (glad that two friend came and cleaned the apartment just before we came home).  In the evening when Travis or Dean are home to watch the boys I get to escape to the store, the bath, or an activity (if I have one to attend) so that I can maintain my sanity (that Travis says I need, to have to lose).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers


Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers



Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers



Daisypath Anniversary tickers